You are here:Home > Parenting > Companionship/Visitation


In divorce, dissolution, legal separation, and annulment cases involving children the Court may grant reasonable companionship time to grandparents, any person related to the child or other person. Ohio Revised Code 3109.051(B)(1). For companionship to be granted:
  • The person must filed a motion with the court seeking companionship time
  • The Court must determine that the person has an interest in the welfare of the child
  • The Court must determine that companionship time is in the best interest of the child.

The motion for companionship time may be filed while the divorce, dissolution, legal separation or annulment action is pending or at any time after a decree or final order is issued.

If companionship time was requested and not granted, a change of circumstances is necessary for the Court to consider a subsequent motion.